February 9, 2010

Mariebelle: Aztec Hot Chocolate

Mariebelle, out of New York City, makes a beautiful line of chocolates, hot chocolate mixes, and other sweets. Their chocolates are decorated to look like miniature works of art, and the company's packaging is just stunning. I love the teal and truffle colored tin my hot chocolate came in! I'm sure I will be able to find a use for it once the mix is gone (...or just fill it up with more chocolate).

I tried the Aztec Original Hot Chocolate (60%). The mix is made up of tiny shavings of a light brown chocolate, and shards of dark chocolate. The shavings almost look like bark; they have a lined texture to them (as if a very small animal had dragged its claws through the chocolate pieces).

I found my favorite way to prepare the hot chocolate was a mix of the "American" and "European" directions, combining a cup of milk with about 3/4 cup chocolate. This produces a very rich and creamy hot chocolate, with a thick (almost pudding-like) consistency. If you use a ratio of 1:1 (or with a larger part chocolate), you can refrigerate the chocolate to actually make a pudding. I much preferred the chocolate hot, however. I think maybe whipping the hot chocolate with cream would could a really tasty frosting for a cake, too.



Overall, I really enjoyed this hot chocolate. However, I think because of the price (and how quickly I was able to consume it all) I will only be drinking this chocolate in the future if it is given to me as a gift.

I purchased my tin of Aztec Hot Chocolate from Harney & Sons, $25/20 oz. tin.
($22.50 with a 10% off coupon.)



No comments:

Post a Comment