May 10, 2010

Butlers: Mixed Berry White Chocolate Bar

Butlers Chocolates ("Purveyors of Happiness") is a company out of Dublin, Ireland that produces chocolate truffles, bars, and toffee. I have previously tried their truffle bars and enjoyed them thoroughly. So, I thought I'd give one of their chocolate bars a try.

I decided to try their Mixed Berry White Chocolate bar. The bar is solid milk chocolate, filled with mixed berry pieces (strawberry, raspberry, lingonberry, blueberry, and blackberry) and freeze dried raspberry pieces. The bar has a very strong fruity aroma. The smell reminds me very much of a sugary cereal like Fruity Pebbles, and the taste of the bar is not far from this. The bar is very crunchy. The mixed berry pieces are the texture of small bits of lollipop, and they stuck to my back molars even after the chocolate bite was gone. The freeze dried raspberries are tart, and have the texture you would expect from freeze dried fruit.

Overall, I was not a big fan of this bar. I think it would have been much better with only one or two fruits in it, so it would taste more like berry and less like a generic fruit flavor. I also wasn't a big fan of either of the berry bits. I think they should have used dried fruit, rather than freeze dried or (what appears to be) candy-coated fruit. For now I'll stick to the truffle bars.

I found this at the World Market store, $3.99/3.52oz bar.

No comments:

Post a Comment