May 9, 2010

Owyhee Idaho Candy Co.: Idaho Spud

The Idaho Candy Company is out of Boise, Idaho. They produce a handfull of candies, including what will be reviewed here: The Idaho Spud. According to the wrapper, this is "The candy bar that makes Idaho famous." Well, I'm pretty sure if anything makes Idaho famous it's REAL potatoes. And if it isn't potatoes, it sure as hell isn't this candy bar.

The Idaho Spud is made up of a cocoa flavored marshmallow covered in chocolate then sprinkled with dried coconut. I'm not sure if they were hoping the candy bar would look like a real potato,
but to me it looked sort of like a coconut coated turd.

Now, if you haven't picked up on my distaste for this candy bar yet, I will describe to you how it tastes. The "marshmallow" center is gray and spongy. It tastes maybe a little like cocoa, but also a little like chemicals, too. The taste and texture of the "marshmallow" by itself are horrifying. The chocolate coating is waxy and crumbly, but does taste like chocolate. The coconut is typical dried coconut flakes.
Altogether the bar reminds me of a Hostess Sno-Ball cupcake, but without the cake part and not delicious. I ate about half of the Idaho Spud before I gave in and threw the rest away. I'm not even going to tell you where I bought this or how much it cost, because I wouldn't recommend you try it either.

No comments:

Post a Comment