March 22, 2010

Alaus Mathez: Truffles with Salty Toffee Chips

My mom recently sent me a package, and tucked inside was a box of Alaus Mathez truffles (from France). The oddly-shaped box is mostly in French, with some English translations. It actually reminds me of something I would expect from a Japanese candy box...the front of the box calls them "Fancy Truffles Toffy Salty Chips" and the side says "Toffee Salty cocoa dusted fancy truffles." The other side lets us know these are "suitables for vegetarians" and that we can find the best before date at "the back oh the ballotin."

Now that I've made fun of their package translator, I'll get on with the review. The truffles are markedly darker in color than the ones pictured on the box. They look like they're dusted in a very dark cocoa powder, and the inside truffle is the same color. The consistency is dense and smooth, like a very thick fudge. There are tiny toffee pieces all throughout
the truffles, plenty in each bite. The chocolate itself has a deep caramel flavor to it, which I found rather pleasing. The crunchy toffee bits taste like salty toffee (go figure).

Overall I liked these truffles. They're quite rich, so I only ate a few of them in one sitting (but I'll be back...). According to the back of the box Alaus Mathez produces truffles in several other flavors...I'm most interested in the "crambled chococolate chips cookies," "cocoa beans," and "nature/plain" truffles.

My mom found these at TJ Maxx for $2/ 8.8oz box (although the price tag suggests regular price would be $10). At that price I'd definitely buy them again, and probably throw them into a gift basket for a friend, too. I'm not sure where else you could find these (even TJ Maxx won't be a sure thing, since they change their inventory weekly), a brief internet search was fruitless.

No comments:

Post a Comment