March 18, 2010

Sahagun Handmade Chocolates: Dark Chocolate Bark with Exploded Corn


Sahagun Handmade Chocolates is out of Portland, OR. This company offers up several interesting treats, including exploding caramels and a KA-POW coffee bar (looks like chocolate, but it's made out of coffee...not quite sure how that works, but I'd like to find out).

I had the privelege of trying their dark chocolate bark with exploded corn. This bark is made with 71% bittersweet chocolate, exploded corn, ground chiles, and sea salt. The combination is quite divine! The chocolate is shiny and rich, but it really takes a back seat to the other players in the bark. The corn is crispy and crunchy, with a sweet and nutty taste. It reminds me of the texture of soynuts, but with the flavor of those half-popped corn kernels at the bottom of my popcorn bowl. I also got a hint of heat from the chiles and the perfect amount of salt.

I originally planned on sampling this one, then saving the rest for later. But before I realized it, I had eaten the entire thing---and then I was very sad. Next time I will be buying a bigger chunk of bark, and perhaps trying out that coffee bar. This is perhaps one of my new favorite snacks...I only wish I could buy it somewhere closer, so I won't be paying overnight shipping to feed my summertime cravings.

I found this bark at The Meadow, $5 for 1.2oz bag.





No comments:

Post a Comment