March 16, 2010

Komforte Chockolates: Ramen Noodle

Komforte Chockolates (Orange, CA), produces three chocolate bars: Ramen Noodle, Tortilla Lime + Salt, and French Toast. In an effort to not eat all three bars in one sitting, I'm going to break these bars into three separate reviews. First, I sampled the Ramen Noodle bar. This is a dark chocolate bar full of uncooked (plain) ramen noodles.

I found the dark chocolate to be pretty good (or good enough for a $3 chocolate bar). There is a satisfying amount of ramen noodles in the bar, and I found the texture to be quite appealing. I think this bar would make for a good snack, or a nice gift for a friend who's into novelty candy. I'm not sure if I liked it enough to want to buy another.

That being said, I noticed the ingredients lists "preserved by tbhq" (and BEFORE the "contains less than 1% of" ingredients)! TBHQ is a compound used to preserve vegetable oils and animal fats, and I have never seen it listed as an ingredient in chocolate I've purchased before. What puzzles me even more is that TBHQ is not listed in the ingredients for the other two bars (both milk chocolate) made by Komforte. So, I wonder what is it about their dark chocolate that requires the addition of tbhq? In addition, on the front wrapper of the Tortilla and French Toast bars it says "made in small batches of artisan quality and natural ingredients." I couldn't help but notice that the wrapper for the Ramen bar ends with "artisan quality," leaving out the natural ingredients part...hmm...

In all, I thought this one was okay. You can find this bar at The Meadow, $2.95 for a 2.5oz bar.

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    You are correct that the one ingredient that is not 100% natural is part of the ramen noodle inclusion. We looked high and low for a 100% natural ramen noodle that had that same bite-able texture that comes from the instant type we liked to munch. It is not related to the dark chocolate. Thanks for reviewing our bars and I hope that you will share your thoughts when we do some new flavors.

    Warm regards,

    Peter Stocker / Komforte Chockolates

    ReplyDelete