March 20, 2010

Choco-Lina: Classic Whole Milk Chocolate

Choco-Lina is a company out of Austria that produces chocolate bars primarily made out of sheep's milk (and one from goat's milk). Their chocolate bars come in a variety of flavors, from milk and white chocolate, to bars flavored with aloe vera, hempseed, and grapes and poppy. I was given their classic bar (whole milk chocolate), which is lactose-free.

The ingredients are raw cane sugar, cocoa butter, whole sheep milk, cocoa mass, and bourbon vanilla. The bar has a nice aroma to it, and each of the squares is stamped with a delightful looking sheep. The chocolate is sweet, with a definite vanilla flavor. It tastes eerily similar to a bar of Ghirardelli milk chocolate, but with a slightly off aftertaste (I've never tried sheep's milk, the closest I've come is Pecorino Romano and it definitely doesn't taste like that...so I have to say this chocolate tastes a little like goat's milk to me).

In all, the chocolate is pretty good. It is a bit pricey, and I'm not sure I would be willing to spend almost $9 on it myself...but I did enjoy it as a gift. Also, I really like that it has only a few ingredients which are very high quality. I think for someone who can't digest cow's milk, this bar would be a great alternative to regular milk chocolate. I think it would also make a really nice addition to an ice cream or mousse...the different taste that the sheep's milk brings in would really make for some interesting desserts.

This bar was a gift, but it can be purchased online $8.50/ 3.17oz bar at the Meadow.

No comments:

Post a Comment